Beach Cleanup Data:
Campus & Coastal Counts:
- Complied from all beach cleanups throughout the 2018-2020 school year.
- The most common items found were cigarette butts, plastic bottle caps, and food wrappers.
- If you lined the cigarette butts end to end, the distance would equal the length 4 blue whales.
- The above graphs include the most common items found.
Coastal vs. Campus:
- Over 90% of items collected were plastic.
- More items were found on the coastline than campus.
- Other items included rubber, other types of construction material, and fireworks.
Collected From Cleanups:
Total Items: 36,046.3
Total Plastic Items: 31,420
Total Cigarette Butts: 4,300
Total Food Wrappers: 3,730
Total Plastic Beverage Bottles: 1,020
Total Plastic Bags: 1,147
Total Grocery Bags: 513
Total plastic weight: 348.68 pounds
Total weight: 1,808.79 pounds
The total weight removed equals approximately 2 adult manatees. The total plastic weight removed equals approximately 3 adult giant octopuses.